One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an insect's body, or part of one) hardened by conversion into sclerotin.
- ‘The sclerotized spermatheca is flexible and has muscle attachments between the base of the body of the spermatheca and its apex.’
- ‘In the adult stage, a sclerotized dorsal plate is evident and this is often ornate with patterns in white or gold against a brown or gray background.’
- ‘The majority of the fossil record consists of biomineralized or sclerotized remains as they have a high preservation potential.’
- ‘The cephalothorax of spiders is a sclerotized body part that does not change after the final molt.’
- ‘The larvae have a non-retracting head capsule, consisting of sclerotized chitin, which bears opposing mandibles, antennae, eyespots, and various other sensory structures.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.