Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woody plant with evergreen leaves that are tough and thick in order to reduce water loss.
- ‘Evergreen sclerophylls are regarded as one of the most typical components of the Mediterranean-type vegetation.’
- ‘Evergreen sclerophylls and drought semi-deciduous shrubs that shed their leaves during dry periods are the dominant plants in this region.’
- ‘A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.’
- ‘As settlement spread inland, vast forests of eucalypts and other sclerophylls were discovered, but no further easily worked species.’
- ‘The arid scenery rushed past me, sclerophyll trees and forests speeding by the window at what seemed a rate of knots.’
Early 20th century: from Greek sklēros hard + phullon leaf.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.