One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surface raised or lowered by the closing or opening of crossed supports pivoted like the two halves of a pair of scissors.
- ‘Once they reached the stage, a giant scissor lift raised a man dressed as the living statue of Admiral Nelson, in a symbolic recreation of the monument.’
- ‘The rehearsal room had had a mock-up of the raked floor built on the day off, including the scissor lift, so it felt like we stepped up a gear.’
- ‘His workmate said he did not see him scale the building but a ladder and a scissor lift were nearby.’
- ‘The rental company sold them a used telescopic boom lift and a scissor lift for use on the Salisbury House project.’
- ‘He was inside the studio and hid behind a scissor lift with 20 others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.