One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in various sports, particularly swimming and soccer) a kick in which the legs make a sharp snapping movement like that of a pair of scissors.
- ‘In that environment, motions that reverse themselves exactly - such as a diver's scissor kick - will do nothing more than return an object back to its original place.’
- ‘It is in the early days of the rivalry that Hayes digs up the most interesting stories, such as when Cardiff's Burton scored with an extravagant scissors kick and was congratulated by players from both teams.’
- ‘Then you practically broke his leg with a scissor kick.’
- ‘The swimmer did a scissors kick with every two arm strokes.’
- ‘Freestyle in those days was the trudgen, an alternating overarm stroke with a scissors kick.’
- ‘In the ensuing minutes, Chelsea almost concede two: Ambrosio saves brilliantly from a Dado Prso header, before Chelsea are forced to clear off the line from a Morientes scissors kick.’
- ‘But in the split second that her head spun around to verify what Thames told her, Sam's right leg shot up in a scissors kick.’
- ‘He flipped backwards between the two men supposed to be holding him with lightening speed, and delivered a roundhouse kick to one and a scissor kick to the other before they had even realised what had happened.’
- ‘You must stop the dolphin and start the scissors kick just before your legs break the surface at the end of your first pull.’
- ‘Having missed two easier chances he blasted Sedge into the lead with a scissor kick from the corner of the area.’
- ‘Using her legs she performed a scissor kick that caused him to come tumbling down… and that's when the teacher decided to walk in.’
- ‘He ducked under mine, but I followed it up with a scissor kick.’
- ‘He did the spin-a-roonie, then hit a scissors kick on Bubba for a two.’
- ‘Trent ducked under another swing attack, swept with his feet in a scissors kick that tripped up his opponent and forced him to the ground.’
- ‘He flung himself into the air and whacked a scissors kick into the top corner of the Manchester United net.’
- ‘Striking a martial arts pose, she then delivered a swinging punch to the killer's back, followed by a reverse elbow, and finishing up with a double scissor kick that sent the man sprawling to the ground.’
- ‘People were jogging, cycling and doing scissor kicks in the parks, and I once again noted that there is nothing quite like eucalyptus branches for framing a rising sun.’
- ‘I think basically it was an overarm stroke with a scissor kick with the legs.’
- ‘Isaac English made a spectacular scissor kick with his back to goal on the edge of the six-yard box only to see David Farrell head off the line.’
- ‘She tried to scissor kick him, but he evaded her easily.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.