One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a chemical bond) readily undergoing scission.
divisible, distinguishable, distinct, independentView synonyms
- ‘Such differences among PC and other VKD proteins in charge distributions around the scissile bond may require different conditions for the initial approach of the zymogen to its enzyme for its activation.’
- ‘Cross-linking studies of IN with DNA revealed that residues in this region could be cross-linked to DNA close to the reactive phosphate (i.e., the scissile bond), placing the loop near the substrate during the reaction.’
- ‘The scissile groups are P3 and P11, respectively.’
- ‘Crystal structures help to orientate the scissile bond in the enzyme complex structure.’
- ‘We find, however, that the putative sodium ion binding site is near the scissile bond of PC activation.’
Early 17th century: from Latin scissilis, from sciss- ‘cut, divided’, from the verb scindere.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.