Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A major nerve extending from the lower end of the spinal cord down the back of the thigh, and dividing above the knee joint. It is the nerve with the largest diameter in the human body.
- ‘The lumbosacral trunk and the second and third sacral nerves are major components of the sciatic nerve.’
- ‘Perhaps the best-known nerve is the sciatic nerve, which when inflamed or under pressure causes pain, tenderness, and weakness in the back of the leg.’
- ‘This set of symptoms is called sciatica, because it is often a nerve root of the sciatic nerve going to one leg that is affected.’
- ‘The first group consisted of animals whose left sciatic nerves and gastrocnemius muscles were intact.’
- ‘The nurse takes special care when abducting the legs to prevent injuring the patient's femoral, obturator, and sciatic nerves.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.