One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the hip.
- ‘It arises from the lumbosacral plexus and then enters the thigh through the greater sciatic foramen.’
- ‘Inferior to the posterior inferior iliac spine is the greater sciatic notch.’
- ‘The dimension of the greater sciatic notch is variable.’
- ‘Patients with the piriformis syndrome will have pain with passive internal rotation and palpation of the sciatic notch, as well as with active external rotation.’
- ‘When inferior branches are absent, they are sometimes replaced by branches from the middle rectal, gluteal, and sciatic arteries.’
- 1.1 Of or affecting the sciatic nerve.
- 1.2 Suffering from or liable to sciatica.
Early 16th century (as a noun denoting sciatica): from French sciatique, via late Latin from Greek iskhiadikos ‘relating to the hips, subject to sciatica’, from iskhion ‘hip joint’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.