Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Products given away free, typically for promotional purposes.‘I'll be showing you the best of the schwag I get my hands on each day’
- ‘What was unusual about this particular bit of schwag is that it wasn't adorned with the sponsoring company's logo.’
- ‘In the course of covering consumer electronics, well, schwag happens.’
- ‘Taking the time to find good, free schwag will save you lots of money in the long run.’
- ‘Ross asks us to tell what is our best schwag.’
- ‘Sample schwag includes Apple iPods, spa services, luxury hotel accommodations, even Lasik eye surgery treatments.’
- ‘Note too: there will be some magnificent schwag happening sometime later this month, here on this very blog.’
- ‘Many geeks across the world are in a similar situation: we want our share of schwag, but we just don't have access.’
- ‘When I worked in a major university's Department of Surgery, drug companies provided once-a-week lunches for the residents, and regularly passed out all kinds of schwag to the doctors.’
- ‘There's a lot of prepackaged fun, marketing schwag, overpriced food, and flat-out waste.’
- ‘All the free schwag has been itemized and tossed or stowed.’
- ‘Any influence schwag may have on us is mitigated by letting you guys know what's up.’
- ‘Regardless of such tangled philosophical questions, I decided to do my part by reproducing an image of the mesmerizing, tantalizing virtual schwag.’
- ‘And it is against my various contracts to accept ginormous loads of schwag.’
- ‘The schwag that we normally put together for the drive, the bottle openers, t-shirts, Gilligan hats, what have you, are too expensive to produce.’
- ‘There's a listing of all the schwag below.’
- ‘For me, it's all about the schwag, the mountains of junk companies spend thousands of dollars on in order to draw innocent passersby in.’
- ‘Utilizing branded vehicles, street-team schwag and a sprawling interactive billboard, it was able to capture attention multiple times and in various locations.’
- ‘The mayhem the giveaway created was hard to watch, but the schwag was well worth it.’
2Cannabis, typically of a low grade.‘even potheads couldn't smoke that schwag’
- ‘Prices for low quality weed (schwag) are substantially lower.’
- ‘The song begins as an awkward power-chord assault that sounds like a high-school basement band that has recently given up their metal records for schwag and early Floyd.’
- ‘If using schwag, the ratio should probably be doubled.’
- ‘This is an important distinction between high-quality marijuana and schwag.’
- ‘I've been reading through some of the threads here, and there's a lot of talk about dank, schwag & shake.’
1990s: alteration of swag, perhaps after words of Yiddish origin, such as schlub, schmuck, etc..
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.