One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female teacher in a school.
educator, tutor, instructor, pedagogue, schoolteacher, schoolmaster, master, mistress, governess, educationalist, educationistView synonyms
- ‘Primary schoolmasters and schoolmistresses, the instituteurs and institutrices, were liberated from the grip of the church, and in 1889 they became employees of the central state instead of the local council.’
- ‘Fortunately, their landlady, a retired schoolmistress, warmly welcomes and befriends them.’
- ‘Individual schoolmistresses and teachers in the academies and seminaries that proliferated in Alexandria during the antebellum period offered instruction in a wide range of useful and ornamental subjects.’
- ‘In 1836-1837, her career as a schoolmistress thwarted by ill health, she suffered a nervous breakdown.’
- ‘I was barely even seventeen yet and so I could not get a job as a schoolmistress or a governess.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.