One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very basic or foolish mistake.
- ‘The club's younger defenders all show potential but are prone to schoolboy errors.’
- ‘But he was judged a fool guilty of schoolboy errors when estimating 100,000 civilian deaths since the March 2003 US-UK invasion of Iraq.’
- ‘Late on a schoolboy error from keeper Mark Zawadski allowed Ks sub Martyn Williams in to poach a goal and secure maximum points.’
- ‘They are what you would class as schoolboy errors at the moment.’
- ‘You are not going to win games making schoolboy errors.’
- ‘Two lads went for the same ball for their second goal and Ashley Connor made a schoolboy error for their penalty.’
- ‘Most notably, though, I made another schoolboy error.’
- ‘We made the same mistakes again, just silly schoolboy errors.’
- ‘Accusing respected clergymen of lying was a political schoolboy error.’
- ‘With the position we are in and with games running out very quickly we have got to cut out these schoolboy errors.’
- ‘The company will be at pains not to let this type of embarrassing schoolboy error happen again.’
- ‘His book Problems of Leninism is an eclectic compilation, full of schoolboy errors.’
- ‘It was painful to watch, even more painful to hear the Doncaster fans laughing at York's schoolboy errors.’
- ‘The Indians were spectacular in the field, holding half-chances and even creating dismissals, but the Pakistanis made schoolboy errors.’
- ‘We made schoolboy errors but I'll keep working and giving 100 %.’
- ‘He is far from the finished article and his game yesterday was a mix of schoolboy errors and flashes of brilliance.’
- ‘Hawks contributed mightily to their own downfall by making schoolboy errors.’
- ‘Their punishing tactics were too much for Wigan whose schoolboy errors were embarrassing considering the magnitude of the occasion.’
- ‘This is new territory for us and as such a learning curve where we admit we have made few schoolboy errors.’
- ‘The reality was that Scotland should have then run away with the game, but the schoolboy errors were wrecking their play.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.