One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin slice of veal or other light meat, coated in breadcrumbs and fried.‘they are known for their soups and schnitzels’‘a chicken schnitzel’
- ‘Central and Eastern Europe's cuisines would be remiss without grated crumbs for their schnitzels, matzos, and strudels.’
- ‘The second page runs into some more expensive items with selections of their tailor made (on the premises) pies, schnitzels and beef stews.’
- ‘It was only with the arrival of Italian and German immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that an appetite for veal developed in the eastern cities, with schnitzels and veal scallopine showing up on restaurant menus.’
- ‘Sixteen main dishes are next with ribs, roast pork, schnitzels and pork knuckle on offer.’
- ‘The traditional Wiener schnitzel - which, as the name indicates, originated in Vienna, Austria - is a very flat piece of breaded veal, but most schnitzels are pork.’
- ‘My companion greatly enjoyed the schnitzel, saying she rarely dared order veal in Bulgaria.’
- ‘You see this place has been serving steaks and schnitzels for the past 20 years.’
- ‘His friends think he's a couple of wieners short of a schnitzel, so he heads for the big city.’
- ‘Madame was interested in the roast lamb, while I decided to try the chicken schnitzel.’
- ‘Even better than the cordon bleu was the schnitzel, made like a parmigiana, with tomato sauce and melted cheese ($17.95, with soup, salad, dessert and coffee included).’
- ‘They're breaded and fried like mini schnitzels, soft on the inside and crusty on the outside.’
- ‘They are coated in bread crumbs so that, like a schnitzel, a crispy crust encases the meat.’
- ‘Dinners cover steaks, schnitzels, poultry, fish and even a couple of Scandinavian items.’
- ‘But even if the best schnitzels in the world were not to be found here, Vienna would still be one of my favourite cities.’
From German Schnitzel, literally ‘slice’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.