One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin slice of veal or other light meat, coated in breadcrumbs and fried.‘they are known for their soups and schnitzels’‘a chicken schnitzel’
- ‘Madame was interested in the roast lamb, while I decided to try the chicken schnitzel.’
- ‘My companion greatly enjoyed the schnitzel, saying she rarely dared order veal in Bulgaria.’
- ‘It was only with the arrival of Italian and German immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that an appetite for veal developed in the eastern cities, with schnitzels and veal scallopine showing up on restaurant menus.’
- ‘Even better than the cordon bleu was the schnitzel, made like a parmigiana, with tomato sauce and melted cheese ($17.95, with soup, salad, dessert and coffee included).’
- ‘They're breaded and fried like mini schnitzels, soft on the inside and crusty on the outside.’
- ‘But even if the best schnitzels in the world were not to be found here, Vienna would still be one of my favourite cities.’
- ‘His friends think he's a couple of wieners short of a schnitzel, so he heads for the big city.’
- ‘They are coated in bread crumbs so that, like a schnitzel, a crispy crust encases the meat.’
- ‘The traditional Wiener schnitzel - which, as the name indicates, originated in Vienna, Austria - is a very flat piece of breaded veal, but most schnitzels are pork.’
- ‘The second page runs into some more expensive items with selections of their tailor made (on the premises) pies, schnitzels and beef stews.’
- ‘You see this place has been serving steaks and schnitzels for the past 20 years.’
- ‘Sixteen main dishes are next with ribs, roast pork, schnitzels and pork knuckle on offer.’
- ‘Central and Eastern Europe's cuisines would be remiss without grated crumbs for their schnitzels, matzos, and strudels.’
- ‘Dinners cover steaks, schnitzels, poultry, fish and even a couple of Scandinavian items.’
From German Schnitzel, literally ‘slice’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.