One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog of a German breed with a close wiry coat and heavy whiskers round the muzzle.
- ‘I'm committed to getting to know your miniature schnauzer.’
- ‘We won't see big Lassie tails on schnauzers, or curly pug tails on pit-bulls, but it is a bit of a lottery.’
- ‘One went to bite the schnauzer so Anne picked him up, but the other dog jumped at her and sunk its teeth into her shoulder.’
- ‘In fact, she'd struck up the friendliest relationship with Boxer, the old schnauzer always tied up in Tom Sawyer's yard, two houses down.’
- ‘Not only will this keep your feisty schnauzer occupied; he'll soon realize that great things happen for him when the two of you snuggle.’
- ‘This style is patterned after the schnauzer's and is 3 to 4 inches long all around.’
- ‘My miniature schnauzer can rip through some stuffed animals in minutes, others can take a few weeks.’
- ‘The family's four-year-old miniature schnauzer Herman was recovering at the family home.’
- ‘He was judged against a flat-coated retriever, a giant schnauzer, an Old English sheepdog, a wire fox terrier, a saluki hound and Pekingese toy dog.’
- ‘This is the smallest dog in the breed which also presented us the schnauzers.’
- ‘It left a terrible mark on my little miniature schnauzer, who came to California with me.’
- ‘Today, the German smooth-haired pinscher is considered the stepfather of several German dog breeds, including the miniature pinscher, wire-haired breeds such as the schnauzers and affenpinschers, and the popular Doberman pinscher.’
- ‘This is fortunate because a number of breeds - poodles, cocker spaniels, huskies, and schnauzers, to name a few - are prone to eye disease and should be carefully watched.’
- ‘By 1944, the Army accepted only five breeds: German shepherds, Belgian sheepdogs, Doberman pinschers, farm collies, and giant schnauzers.’
1920s: from German, from Schnauze ‘muzzle, snout’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.