One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug addict, especially a heroin addict.
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘If they are all schmeckers, they have a prearranged time to fix or take a bang; they stop and take the necessary time to do this, often in a rest room, sometimes in a hotel room.’
- ‘I suspect her to be a schmecker but it's hard to tell with women.’
- ‘Old time schmeckers suck the black smoke in the Chinese laundry back room.’
- ‘I didn't mean to imply that I was a schmecker myself, just that I've been up on felony charges, and known plenty of people who were looking at felony drug charges.’
- ‘A performer finds a stage just as surely as a schmecker finds his man.’
1950s: from Yiddish schmeck ‘a sniff’ + -er. Compare with smack.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.