One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person or machine that organizes or maintains schedules.
- ‘So there is a need for planners, schedulers and supervisors.’
- ‘Reinforce with surgery schedulers the need to return improperly completed procedure scheduling forms to physicians' offices.’
- ‘I carry one in my pocket, keep one in my car, and use one as a scheduler and contacts database.’
- ‘To be accurate, the strike started on March 8, 1984, but little facts like that are easily ignored by television schedulers.’
- ‘One of our schedulers might top out at $21 an hour, while someone with the same job at Southwest makes $10 or $11 an hour.’
- ‘He's got to convince the schedulers to give him the time.’
- ‘Organiser functions include a scheduler, alarm clock, calculator and world clock.’
- ‘The workers include accounting clerks, payroll specialists and schedulers.’
- ‘The schedulers know their business: this is a nation obsessed with bricks and mortar.’
- ‘In truth, it's commonplace for harried, in-shop work schedulers or field supervisors to permit maintenance work to lapse.’
- ‘The candidate's campaign scheduler says the only time she saw Dean lose his temper was over rock chipping.’
- ‘Now all employees, including platform workers, ticket collectors and timetable schedulers, will face checks as part of a crackdown by transport bosses.’
- ‘She will go wherever his schedulers tell her to go, usually at the last minute.’
- ‘An office feature has a scheduler, calculator, unit converter, stopwatch and voice memo feature.’
- ‘Wireless devices have evolved from personal organizers and schedulers into powerful computing tools worthy of enterprise-class applications.’
- ‘Sending a calendar imprinted with a business logo can keep the business' name on the scheduler's desk for the entire year.’
- ‘One of the reasons she wanted to transfer was to assert she had substantive knowledge and was not just a secretary / scheduler.’
- ‘Such is the influence he exerts in US tennis that he is powerful enough even to challenge the all-powerful television schedulers.’
- ‘Ticket collectors, timetable schedulers and platform workers will all face checks in the safety move by First North Western.’
- ‘The 219 bus drivers complain that it is the schedulers at the bus station to blame and that buses get moved from the route to other routes.’
- 1.1Computing A program that arranges jobs or a computer's operations into an appropriate sequence.
- ‘Most virus software has an automatic scheduler so that the software can update daily at specified times.’
- ‘The software team programmed the scheduler to log when a job took longer than expected.’
- ‘Once the time slice of a running process is over, the Linux scheduler picks up another appropriate process from the run queue and allocates CPU power to that process.’
- ‘Latency is a function of the audio-interface hardware, the audio-interface device driver, the operating system scheduler and the application software.’
- ‘Various software applications take advantage of different parallel processing schedulers, so it is likely that the cluster will often be broken into several smaller mini-clusters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.