One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person or machine that organizes or maintains schedules.
- ‘He's got to convince the schedulers to give him the time.’
- ‘She will go wherever his schedulers tell her to go, usually at the last minute.’
- ‘Organiser functions include a scheduler, alarm clock, calculator and world clock.’
- ‘Such is the influence he exerts in US tennis that he is powerful enough even to challenge the all-powerful television schedulers.’
- ‘To be accurate, the strike started on March 8, 1984, but little facts like that are easily ignored by television schedulers.’
- ‘Now all employees, including platform workers, ticket collectors and timetable schedulers, will face checks as part of a crackdown by transport bosses.’
- ‘In truth, it's commonplace for harried, in-shop work schedulers or field supervisors to permit maintenance work to lapse.’
- ‘Reinforce with surgery schedulers the need to return improperly completed procedure scheduling forms to physicians' offices.’
- ‘The candidate's campaign scheduler says the only time she saw Dean lose his temper was over rock chipping.’
- ‘So there is a need for planners, schedulers and supervisors.’
- ‘One of our schedulers might top out at $21 an hour, while someone with the same job at Southwest makes $10 or $11 an hour.’
- ‘Wireless devices have evolved from personal organizers and schedulers into powerful computing tools worthy of enterprise-class applications.’
- ‘I carry one in my pocket, keep one in my car, and use one as a scheduler and contacts database.’
- ‘The schedulers know their business: this is a nation obsessed with bricks and mortar.’
- ‘Sending a calendar imprinted with a business logo can keep the business' name on the scheduler's desk for the entire year.’
- ‘Ticket collectors, timetable schedulers and platform workers will all face checks in the safety move by First North Western.’
- ‘The workers include accounting clerks, payroll specialists and schedulers.’
- ‘An office feature has a scheduler, calculator, unit converter, stopwatch and voice memo feature.’
- ‘The 219 bus drivers complain that it is the schedulers at the bus station to blame and that buses get moved from the route to other routes.’
- ‘One of the reasons she wanted to transfer was to assert she had substantive knowledge and was not just a secretary / scheduler.’
- 1.1Computing A program that arranges jobs or a computer's operations into an appropriate sequence.
- ‘The software team programmed the scheduler to log when a job took longer than expected.’
- ‘Various software applications take advantage of different parallel processing schedulers, so it is likely that the cluster will often be broken into several smaller mini-clusters.’
- ‘Once the time slice of a running process is over, the Linux scheduler picks up another appropriate process from the run queue and allocates CPU power to that process.’
- ‘Latency is a function of the audio-interface hardware, the audio-interface device driver, the operating system scheduler and the application software.’
- ‘Most virus software has an automatic scheduler so that the software can update daily at specified times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.