Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who tends to be disorganized and lacking in concentration.‘she struck me as a bit of a scatterbrain’
- ‘‘Be off with you, you scatterbrains! ‘he shouted angrily, ‘Away from the palace steps!’’
- ‘The eccentric drunk's largesse solves the girl's problems, but when the scatterbrain forgets he gave her the money, she is arrested for thieving.’
- ‘I've been told that I am careless, a scatterbrain.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the heartthrob of this film admits he is less than perfect - one of his problems being he is a real scatterbrain.’
- ‘Maybe if I wasn't such a scatterbrain, I would be able to focus on something more then the first interesting new bit and actually finish it.’
- ‘Something of a scatterbrain, his study was populated by stacks of unchecked papers and piles of worn books.’
- ‘Why then do they let themselves be shown as silly little scatterbrains, making the compromises, while the men romp all over the screen doing exactly as they please?’
- ‘By and large, he appears to be on top of things, but there are times when they play like out-and-out scatterbrains.’
- ‘He gripped the wheel, chewing himself out for being such a scatterbrain.’
- ‘Like an afterthought, he added, ‘Even if you are a scatterbrain most of the time.’’
- ‘‘Robert can't stay here,’ his mother recalls thinking, ‘our poor child among all these scatterbrains.’’
- ‘You were behaving like a scatterbrain, but with you, that's right in character.’
- ‘These accounts typically focus on perceived negatives and neglect to acknowledge the positive influence that attention deficit medication has had on thousands of scatterbrains.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.