Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A graph in which the values of two variables are plotted along two axes, the pattern of the resulting points revealing any correlation present.
chart, diagram, gridView synonyms
- ‘The scatter plot presented in the following chart does not show a linear pattern of the relationship between TOEFL score and Internet penetration.’
- ‘The scatter diagram for variables 1 and 2 shows a perfect positive relationship, which would have a Pearson's r correlation of + 1.’
- ‘The resulting two-dimensional representation is shown in the scatter plot as well as the box plot corresponding to the data distribution along the x axis.’
- ‘If a scatter plot indicates a treatment effect even when no patients adhere to treatment then bias is a possible explanation.’
- ‘The other chart, a scatter diagram, suggests that the price/earnings ratio predicts 10-year returns.’
scatter diagram/ˈskatə ˈdʌɪəɡram/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.