A graph in which the values of two variables are plotted along two axes, the pattern of the resulting points revealing any correlation present.
chart, diagram, gridView synonyms
- ‘The resulting two-dimensional representation is shown in the scatter plot as well as the box plot corresponding to the data distribution along the x axis.’
- ‘If a scatter plot indicates a treatment effect even when no patients adhere to treatment then bias is a possible explanation.’
- ‘The other chart, a scatter diagram, suggests that the price/earnings ratio predicts 10-year returns.’
- ‘The scatter diagram for variables 1 and 2 shows a perfect positive relationship, which would have a Pearson's r correlation of + 1.’
- ‘The scatter plot presented in the following chart does not show a linear pattern of the relationship between TOEFL score and Internet penetration.’
scatter diagram/ˈskatə ˈdʌɪəɡram/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.