Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small cushion designed to be placed randomly so as to create a casual effect and to be moved as required.
pillow, bolster, headrestView synonyms
- ‘Cover dated or worn sofas and chairs with large throws in a neutral colour so that they aren't the main focus of the room, use scatter cushions to brighten things up.’
- ‘The decor of the bedrooms is uniform although the scatter cushions, which can vary in colour, are the exception.’
- ‘For a comfortable seat, add a series of scatter cushions to match the rest of the curtains and soft furnishings in the room.’
- ‘The beautiful three-seater Balinese wooden sofa decorated with bright pink and white scatter cushions was bought from a hotel on a recent trip.’
- ‘In the sitting room, a classic 2001 look might be a plain cream leather or natural fabric sofa, brightened up by scatter cushions covered in an animal-print fabric or suede.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.