One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being scarce or in short supply; shortage.‘a time of scarcity’‘the growing scarcity of resources’
shortage, dearth, lack, want, undersupply, insufficiency, paucity, scarceness, scantness, meagreness, sparseness, scantiness, povertyrarity, rareness, infrequency, sparseness, uncommonness, unusualnessView synonyms
- ‘In a market economy it is as easy to fall as to rise, but in periods of scarcity and famine, easier to survive within such a system than outside it.’
- ‘It should not be relegated to a matter that was only given close attention in times of drought and water scarcity.’
- ‘Such is the official apathy that drought and food scarcities have found little space for intellectual discussions and strategic planning.’
- ‘In general, beech nuts have been regarded as food for humans in times of famine or scarcity.’
- ‘This lack of scarcity makes this concert even sillier, as there is nothing special about it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.