Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A class of molluscs that comprises the tusk shells.
- ‘It is also now generally thought that they were ancestral to the Cephalopoda and Scaphopoda as well.’
- ‘According to Engeser & Riedel, during the Devonian, the conocardoid rostroconchs gave rise to the Scaphopoda, which therefore are technically Rostroconchia (in the same way that birds are dinosaurs).’
- ‘There are approximately 900 species of Scaphopoda, commonly called tusk shells.’
- ‘Recent evaluations of morphological and paleontological data as well as 18S rRNA sequences alternatively conclude that Scaphopoda is the sister group to Cephalopoda.’
- ‘The assemblage of Bivalvia, Gastropoda and Scaphopoda contains 24 species, of which 13 are considered new, and is unequivocally the best-preserved Cretaceous molluscan fauna from the Australian region.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek skaphē boat + pous, pod- foot.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.