One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large carpal bone articulating with the radius below the thumb.as modifier ‘scaphoid bone’
- ‘The scaphoid and hamate are the most common bones to have nonunion after a fracture because their blood supplies are delicate and prone to complete disruption.’
- ‘Historically, the bone scan has been used to look for occult fractures of the scaphoid and other bones.’
- ‘The scaphoid bone has an irregular shape, and 80% of the surface is covered by articular cartilage.’
- ‘The England captain fractured his right scaphoid, the bone between the thumb and the wrist, in the national team's 2-1 win over South Africa in Durban on Thursday.’
- ‘In prolonged cases, osteophytes may occur at the dorsal rim of the distal radius or dorsal aspects of the scaphoid or lunate.’
Mid 18th century (in the sense ‘boat-shaped’): from modern Latin scaphoides, from Greek skaphoeidēs, from skaphos ‘boat’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.