One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNZ, Australian
A viral disease of sheep and goats causing sores around the animal's mouth.‘the official reason for rejecting the sheep has been scabby mouth’
- ‘There is veterinary evidence that the spiny leaves and bracts are responsible for transmitting virus diseases, including scabby mouth, between animals.’
- ‘Some 21,000 sheep were culled on suspicion they had scabby mouth.’
- ‘The issue was the level of scabby mouth.’
- ‘If a vaccine was less protective, then scabby mouth might be more prevalent and severe on farms where application of the vaccine was perhaps of a poorer standard.’
- ‘A shipment of about 50,000 sheep was rejected, allegedly because of a high incidence of something called "scabby mouth".’
- ‘A veterinarian deemed 6% of the sheep were infected with scabby mouth.’
- ‘He has ordered an investigation into how Australian sheep infected with scabby mouth disease were allowed to be unloaded.’
- ‘Concerns were raised about scabby mouth disease in a number of sheep.’
- ‘Official sources said culling of the sheep consignment has been ordered after it was confirmed that they were suffering from scabby mouth disease.’
- ‘They rejected the same animals because of reports that some of the sheep were infected with scabby mouth disease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.