One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Muslim claiming descent from Muhammad, especially through Husayn, the prophet's younger grandson.‘sayyids possessed spiritual blessing or holiness’as modifier ‘privileges of sayyid rulers’
- ‘This pattern in the Islamic movement emphasizes the effectiveness of the traditional network of ulama or sayyids based on their sacredness, nobility of origin, or salvation of the soul.’
- ‘But regarding the political position, it's the responsibility of the Sayyid himself.’
- ‘All the other small details will be settled within the family and with the blessings of the Sayid.’
- ‘The black-turbaned man with outsized feet, hands, girth, and ambition is a Sayyid, a direct descendant of the Prophet Mohammed.’
- 1.1 A respectful Muslim form of address.‘the Secretary of Internal Affairs was Ali Sayyid Abdullah’
- ‘But Sayyid Al-Husseini, a farmer in Mahaweel, 50 miles south of Baghdad, scoffs at that.’
Arabic, literally ‘lord, prince’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.