One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See sayusually in combination ‘nay-sayers’
- ‘His message, as usual, is that the naysayers are wrong: you can clean up the environment and still have a growing economy with big houses and big cars.’
- ‘Until recently, our committee was full of sayers, not doers, and we didn't exactly work overtime to encourage youngsters to flock to the club.’
- ‘And before you know it, you'll hear all the nay-sayers talking about something else.’
- ‘Except for the hymn singers and praise sayers, the laureates and anthem-grinders, poetry's community has been established by tradition as on the outside, in exile.’
- ‘Industrial interests are as capable of suppression as individual nay-sayers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.