One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A saxophone.‘alto sax’as modifier ‘a sax solo’
- ‘There's a stunning, uncredited sax solo and a quirky contrapuntal bit for the trombones.’
- ‘The track is partially redeemed by another great sax solo, but otherwise seems very much out-of-place and closes the album on a sour note.’
- ‘He first came into contact with music aged nine, when he learned to play the alto sax, but it was his encounter with electronic instruments, at the age of twelve, during a summer arts camps, that defined the realm in which he now evolves.’
- ‘Squealing keyboard lines duel with harsh sax solos, but it's the drumming that ultimately comes up victorious.’
- ‘The sax and swung ride cymbal suggest sexuality, but the lyrics never make it explicit.’
- ‘Most of the focus is on piano and voice, although violin, viola, cello, sax, and flute are also heard - there's no missing Antony's thoughtful words.’
- ‘Curiously, he includes three thick multi-tracked saxophone pieces on this album seemingly dedicated to a magnification of the sax's more minute phenomenon and to the distinctive solo voice.’
- ‘On some tracks he has his friends lay very minimal flute, sax or guitar lines.’
- ‘A muted, tinkling presence throughout, the piano is accompanied by the voices of melancholy oboe and sax.’
- ‘On the heels of a serpentine bass clarinet solo, the piece ends with sax, trombone, and clarinet wailing against a massive brew of drums, congas, and bass.’
- ‘Over the years, he has become adept on alto and soprano saxes, value trombone, flugelhorn, pocket trumpet, cornet, and various clarinets.’
- ‘This leads to a nice soprano sax solo, and the tune is well within the domain of standard fusion.’
- ‘His exquisite phrasing is heard frequently on 16-or 32-bar alto sax solos, and occasionally on trumpet and clarinet.’
- ‘I'm always a sucker for a good horn section, so the trombone, trumpet and sax were a welcome sight and sound.’
- ‘The best moments come courtesy of Rinne, whose multitracked ensembles and solos on soprano sax and bass clarinet are always well judged.’
- ‘One of my favorite sax solos on the record was cut live that way.’
- ‘Later, when I was a little older, I joined his orchestra, playing alto sax and clarinet.’
- ‘Similarly, Tom on trumpet & flugelhorn, and Carlos on alto sax, are used for coloration far more often that they are given the spotlight.’
- ‘The song bolts out with an anticipatory, pulsing rhythm under a soprano sax solo.’
- ‘But they stipulated that there were to be no drums or even electronic simulations of drums, and no trumpets, although French horns, soprano saxes and electric violins were perfectly okay.’
- 1.1 A saxophone player.‘tenor saxes Alan Thompson and Sue Ferris’
- ‘One of the tenor saxes also played the lead in unison with the clarinet, but an octave lower.’
- ‘Though Underhill admits his band of three saxes, a crazy bassist, and a dancing drummer is getting on in years, he claims they've still got that old verve.’
Early 20th century: abbreviation.
A small axe used for cutting roof slates, with a point for making nail holes.
Old English seax ‘knife’, of Germanic origin, from an Indo-European root meaning ‘cut’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.