One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a document issued to savers by the government guaranteeing fixed interest for five years on a deposit.
- ‘Another good bet might be index-linked savings certificates from National Savings.’
- ‘Taxfree savings certificates can prove popular, particularly for higher-rate taxpayers who have already used up their other tax-free options.’
- ‘If you don't pay tax, then index-linked savings certificates are not for you.’
- ‘You can invest tax-free in National Savings and Investments Premium Bonds, Children's Bonds or various savings certificates.’
- ‘You can also buy two-year and five-year index-linked savings certificates, the first currently paying 3% over inflation, and the second 2%, again tax-free.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.