One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long slender-bodied edible marine fish with an elongated snout.
Family Scomberesocidae: four genera and species, including Scomberesox saurus of the Atlantic (also called skipper), and Cololabis saira of the Pacific
- ‘Taiwanese fishing boats have begun fishing for saury in waters around Russian-held islands claimed by Japan.’
- ‘The South Korean fisheries agency said its fishermen have caught 3,200 tons of saury, roughly one-fifth of the Russian quota of 15,000 tons for this year.’
- ‘Under an accord struck in December, Russia says it will allow South Korean boats to catch 15,000 tons of saury around the islands from July 15 to Nov.15.’
- ‘South Korea has said the fisheries accord allows up to 26 of its boats to fish for saury in waters close to the islands, known in Russia as the Southern Kurils and called the Northern Territories in Japan.’
- ‘Saury is a good quality fish with a lovely roasted flavor and economical price.’
Late 18th century: perhaps via late Latin from Greek sauros ‘horse mackerel’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.