One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur with a long neck and tail, small head, and massive limbs.
- ‘Such stomach stones or gastroliths have been reported from the gut regions or found nearby of prosauropods, sauropods and ornithopods.’
- ‘The largest sauropods, the brachiosaurs, were the biggest land animals ever, measuring 85 feet long.’
- ‘On the contrary, the morphology and evolution of vertebral pneumaticity in sauropods suggests that their respiratory systems were more similar to those of birds than to those of crocodiles.’
- ‘Some parts of Australia have traditions of huge reptiles suggestive of long-necked sauropods, the dinosaur group which includes Diplodocus and Apatosaurus.’
- ‘In other sauropods, the neck vertebrae are at least twice as long as they are tall, according to Rauhut.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Sauropoda (plural), from Greek sauros ‘lizard’ + pous, pod- ‘foot’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.