Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting dinosaurs of an order distinguished by having a pelvic structure resembling that of lizards.Compare with ornithischian
- ‘Theropoda is the second saurischian group, consisting of the carnivorous dinosaurs.’
- ‘The Ornithischia - unlike saurischian dinosaurs, reptiles and birds - possessed mammal-like cheek muscles and cheek pouches to aid in chewing.’
- ‘The theropod (meaning ‘beast-footed’) dinosaurs are a diverse group of bipedal saurischian dinosaurs.’
- ‘The saurischian dinosaurs include both carnivores, the theropods, and herbivores, the sauropods.’
- ‘The huge, heavy ‘frill’ of ceratopsians such as Triceratops may have served as armor against the attacks of saurischian predators like Tyrannosaurus, which lived in the same time and place as Triceratops.’
A saurischian dinosaur.
- ‘Ornithodirans, saurischians, and sauropods are all characterized by having longer necks than their immediate outgroups.’
- ‘It is not clear that dinosaur bones, which are often pneumatic in saurischians, contained a highly nutritious marrow, and if not, the major benefit of bone cracking would have been nonexistent.’
- ‘The pneumatic vertebrae of sauropods and other saurischians are very similar to those of birds and have been considered evidence for the early evolution of the avian respiratory system.’
- ‘Fossils from this site include both early ornithischians, such as Pisanosaurus, and putative early saurischians, the two major lineages of dinosaurs.’
- ‘The oldest known dinosaurs, from the middle Triassic of South America, were saurischians.’
Late 19th century: from the modern Latin plural Saurischia (from Greek sauros ‘lizard’ + iskhion ‘hip joint’) + -an.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.