One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small room used as a hot-air or steam bath for cleaning and refreshing the body.
bathtub, tub, hot tubView synonyms
- ‘On Friday, they can enjoy a prebreakfast dip and refresh in the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.’
- ‘I occasionally visit a male-only centre with saunas, steam baths, spa pools and rest areas.’
- ‘It has 3 heated pools, a sauna, hot tubs, 2 playgrounds, volleyball courts, tennis courts, a hair salon, and a 24 hour fitness center.’
- ‘Do not expose your tattoo to direct sunlight, tanning beds, saltwater, pools, saunas and hot tubs for 2 weeks.’
- ‘A private on-site leisure complex, due to open in the next few months, will contain a fully equipped gym and swimming pool as well as a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room.’
- ‘I like to try something new or make a ‘spa’ day out of it and spend a lot of time in the sauna, pool, hot tub, steam room.’
- ‘In between treatments, guest are free to make use of the hotel's pool, sauna and steam rooms, jacuzzi or gym.’
- ‘Members will also have access to amenities such as a whirlpool, a steam room and a sauna.’
- ‘There is a sauna, steam bath, and an aromatherapy massage room.’
- ‘It will include a 20-metre swimming pool, a children's paddling pool, a 10,000 square feet gym, saunas and steam rooms.’
- ‘The hotel has a leisure centre with a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym and 1,500 acres of country estate.’
- ‘Many Irish hotels now have a swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi and promote themselves as a spa.’
- ‘Time spent in a sauna or steam bath is considered a necessary luxury by Lithuanians.’
- ‘Guests can make use of the hotel's outdoor hot tub, sauna, steam room and relaxation suite.’
- ‘The campus also has a spa with a steam room, sauna, hot tub, cold plunge and Olympic-sized pool.’
- ‘After an energetic day outdoors, Nicole and her friends can relax their muscles in the hotel's whirlpools, sauna, and steam room.’
- ‘After a morning on the slopes, relax in the chalet's exquisite solarium where you can enjoy the beauty and activity of the great outdoors from the lap pool, whirlpool, sauna, or fitness room.’
- ‘The basement of the central block houses a private gym, Turkish bath, sauna, jacuzzi and massage room, all of which will overlook an outdoor pool.’
- ‘We also added a sauna, a steam bath and double shower, and a sports-equipment storage room.’
- ‘There is now an expanded spa, with four treatment rooms, indoor and outdoor heated pools, gym, saunas and steam rooms.’
- 1.1 A session in a sauna.‘I went home and took a sauna for an hour and a half’
- ‘However, if this seems a bit too much like hard work, why not try a steam bath or sauna?’
- ‘After swimming, guests can take a sauna or gentle steam bath, tone up in the gym or have a jog on the beaches.’
- ‘To reduce stress, add weekly regenerative sessions to your routine, such as saunas, massage, meditation, or counseling.’
- ‘When you take a 20-minute sauna or steam bath, your body temperature rises to about 104 degrees, and you sweat out one pound of water.’
- 1.2 Used in reference to a very hot, humid place.‘by 10 a.m., the city is a sauna’‘the air con was broken—the place was like a sauna’
Late 19th century: from Finnish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.