Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small room used as a hot-air or steam bath for cleaning and refreshing the body.figurative ‘the air-con was broken—the place was like a sauna’
bathtub, tub, hot tubView synonyms
- ‘I occasionally visit a male-only centre with saunas, steam baths, spa pools and rest areas.’
- ‘The hotel has a leisure centre with a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym and 1,500 acres of country estate.’
- ‘There is a sauna, steam bath, and an aromatherapy massage room.’
- ‘Time spent in a sauna or steam bath is considered a necessary luxury by Lithuanians.’
- ‘Members will also have access to amenities such as a whirlpool, a steam room and a sauna.’
- ‘We also added a sauna, a steam bath and double shower, and a sports-equipment storage room.’
- ‘There is now an expanded spa, with four treatment rooms, indoor and outdoor heated pools, gym, saunas and steam rooms.’
- ‘After an energetic day outdoors, Nicole and her friends can relax their muscles in the hotel's whirlpools, sauna, and steam room.’
- ‘In between treatments, guest are free to make use of the hotel's pool, sauna and steam rooms, jacuzzi or gym.’
- ‘After a morning on the slopes, relax in the chalet's exquisite solarium where you can enjoy the beauty and activity of the great outdoors from the lap pool, whirlpool, sauna, or fitness room.’
- ‘Many Irish hotels now have a swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi and promote themselves as a spa.’
- ‘The campus also has a spa with a steam room, sauna, hot tub, cold plunge and Olympic-sized pool.’
- ‘I like to try something new or make a ‘spa’ day out of it and spend a lot of time in the sauna, pool, hot tub, steam room.’
- ‘On Friday, they can enjoy a prebreakfast dip and refresh in the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.’
- ‘A private on-site leisure complex, due to open in the next few months, will contain a fully equipped gym and swimming pool as well as a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room.’
- ‘It will include a 20-metre swimming pool, a children's paddling pool, a 10,000 square feet gym, saunas and steam rooms.’
- ‘Guests can make use of the hotel's outdoor hot tub, sauna, steam room and relaxation suite.’
- ‘The basement of the central block houses a private gym, Turkish bath, sauna, jacuzzi and massage room, all of which will overlook an outdoor pool.’
- ‘Do not expose your tattoo to direct sunlight, tanning beds, saltwater, pools, saunas and hot tubs for 2 weeks.’
- ‘It has 3 heated pools, a sauna, hot tubs, 2 playgrounds, volleyball courts, tennis courts, a hair salon, and a 24 hour fitness center.’
- 1.1 A session in a sauna.‘I went home and took a sauna for an hour and a half’
- ‘To reduce stress, add weekly regenerative sessions to your routine, such as saunas, massage, meditation, or counseling.’
- ‘However, if this seems a bit too much like hard work, why not try a steam bath or sauna?’
- ‘When you take a 20-minute sauna or steam bath, your body temperature rises to about 104 degrees, and you sweat out one pound of water.’
- ‘After swimming, guests can take a sauna or gentle steam bath, tone up in the gym or have a jog on the beaches.’
Late 19th century: from Finnish.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.