Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially with reference to songs or poetry) a feeling of longing, melancholy, or nostalgia that is supposedly characteristic of the Portuguese or Brazilian temperament.‘her songs are based on love poems and evoke a melancholy known to the Portuguese as saudade’count noun ‘yearnings, saudades, those sonorous fruits grown for overripe hearts’
- ‘Anyone familiar with that timeless Portuguese emotion known as saudade will detect a similar sense of longing and nostalgia in the sevdah tradition of the Sarajevo-born singer Amira.’
- ‘When you combine this melancholic sound, which the Portuguese call saudade, with African music, the result is extremely touching and sad, but beautiful at the same time.’
- ‘When in one country, he could experience saudade, or a longing nostalgia, for the other.’
- ‘These plaintive songs reflect the fatalistic Portuguese spirit of melancholy and nostalgia known as saudade.’
- ‘A predominant theme in both literature and music is saudade, a sense of longing or homesickness, usually the result of emigration and the ensuing separation of families.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.