One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially with reference to songs or poetry) a feeling of longing, melancholy, or nostalgia that is supposedly characteristic of the Portuguese or Brazilian temperament.‘her songs are based on love poems and evoke a melancholy known to the Portuguese as saudade’count noun ‘yearnings, saudades, those sonorous fruits grown for overripe hearts’
- ‘Anyone familiar with that timeless Portuguese emotion known as saudade will detect a similar sense of longing and nostalgia in the sevdah tradition of the Sarajevo-born singer Amira.’
- ‘A predominant theme in both literature and music is saudade, a sense of longing or homesickness, usually the result of emigration and the ensuing separation of families.’
- ‘When you combine this melancholic sound, which the Portuguese call saudade, with African music, the result is extremely touching and sad, but beautiful at the same time.’
- ‘When in one country, he could experience saudade, or a longing nostalgia, for the other.’
- ‘These plaintive songs reflect the fatalistic Portuguese spirit of melancholy and nostalgia known as saudade.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.