One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that gives fulfilment or the pleasure associated with this.‘she neatly and satisfyingly ties up the loose ends in the story’as submodifier ‘the pancake was satisfyingly substantial’
- ‘The wind howls as you explore the outdoor levels, while footfalls in the snow are accompanied by a satisfyingly crisp crunch.’
- ‘Female friendship is treated in a satisfyingly jaundiced fashion in this 2002 independent film.’
- ‘Satisfyingly, the audience is allowed to do the investigative work themselves.’
- ‘His film is helped by a satisfyingly vicious twist in the final scenes.’
- ‘In the movie's satisfyingly high-concept plot, there is more at stake than a man's sense of self in a big city.’
- ‘Lifeboats are very grim places, with satisfyingly simple rules.’
- ‘The ending is satisfyingly nihilistic, albeit laden down with rather heavy-handed irony.’
- ‘With the satisfyingly beautiful sound of a swish, he increased the 15-point lead of his team.’
- ‘A satisfyingly dark purple colour, it has a nose sweet with fruit.’
- ‘He arranged a satisfyingly battered set of antique phonograph horns amid the weathered beams of this peaked room.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.