Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A cotton fabric woven like satin with a glossy surface.[as modifier] ‘sateen trousers’
- ‘If you like the feel of satin or silk, but don't like sliding off the bed, choose a 100% cotton sateen weave.’
- ‘Made of 300-thread-count cotton Jacquard and sateen, they come in an array of florals so gosh-darn pretty you're likely to sleep with your eyes open.’
- ‘For a bedroom setting, try a sateen sheet on the top layer.’
- ‘Personal favourites here include his black cotton sateen pleated skirt and his white cotton corseted camisole paired with a marron glacé sateen skirt.’
- ‘Do you want the silky feel of sateen or smooth, cool cotton?’
- ‘Printed fabrics gave way to plain fabrics, and a lightweight furnishing cotton sateen became the fabric of choice for whole-cloth quilts.’
- ‘Better quality sateen fabric is mercerized to give your linen a higher sheen.’
- ‘They are available in yellow, white, and multicolored stripes and come in silk, linen, crushed velvet, Egyptian cotton, cotton sateens, and even cashmere.’
- ‘The good news is that the same luxurious effect and feel can be created with 100% cotton sateen sheets if you don't want the added expense of genuine satin or silk linens.’
- ‘Made of cotton sateen, our collection is smooth against babys skin.’
- ‘Sateen fabrics are most often made of mercerized cotton, but can be made of other fabrics, including cotton blends, polyester, and rayon.’
- ‘Women's rings were displayed against blue sateen and were ‘made as feminine as possible.’’
Late 19th century: alteration of satin, on the pattern of velveteen.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.