One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The worship of Satan, typically involving a travesty of Christian symbols and practices, such as placing a cross upside down.
- ‘As they point out, satanism as a phenomenon has appeared and disappeared on the social scene throughout history, almost in a cyclical fashion.’
- ‘In Là-bas he played with satanism and black magic.’
- ‘Television and the Internet, for example - both products of science - become means of expanding audiences for beliefs such as astrology and satanism.’
- ‘As well as the bottled blood, police and residents found samples of human hair - which prompted fears among the local residents of satanism.’
- ‘A motive for the killing has not been established but a slogan sprayed on a fridge in the kitchen has led police to speculate that satanism may have been involved.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the group's dalliance with satanism proved to be their undoing, the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.’
- ‘Police had also established that he had denounced satanism and was in the process of converting to Christianity.’
- ‘The Templars, who had become successful bankers, were destroyed by the greed of the French King Philip IV who arrested them in 1307 and charged them with heresy, obscenity, and satanism.’
- ‘Then at age thirteen I got involved in satanism and calling up demons.’
- ‘Reporting on satanism beat skepticism, hands down.’
- ‘It has wrecked the lives of many teenagers through suicide, drug abuse, immorality, perversion, satanism, etc.’
- ‘The authorities argued that the black-shirt wearing, baseball-capped rockers were peddling satanism and debasing the morality of youth.’
- ‘People still mistake barbaric satanism for Wicca.’
- ‘None of the people already arrested indicated satanism as a motive, and it would be irresponsible to assume that there is definitely a link, based on one unsubstantiated report.’
- ‘Early last year, hundreds of residents flocked to the local clinic to confirm the presence of satanism at the medical institution.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.