Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A Japanese dish of bite-sized pieces of raw fish eaten with soy sauce and wasabi paste.‘tuna sashimi’
- ‘Most people come to Tokyo expecting to eat sushi, maybe some sashimi, and probably some sort of noodles (soba, udon, or ramen).’
- ‘In Japanese cuisine, green shiso is added to sushi, soups, salads, sashimi, and tempura.’
- ‘Tuna is commonly used in sashimi, but its omega - 3 content is quite low compared to fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel and sardine.’
- ‘The sushi and sashimi are also delicious and if I have pudding it'll usually be the plate of different ice creams mixed with fruits and caramel.’
- ‘Freezing and thawing raw fish will be the death of sushi and sashimi as we know it.’
- ‘The most sought after tuna, however, is the Bluefin, used to make tuna sashimi in sushi restaurants.’
- ‘Worse yet, the sushi and sashimi that Tuesday night were mediocre, and a few items were downright terrible.’
- ‘He offers six varieties of crudo, the Venetian-inspired take on sashimi that's currently ubiquitous on Manhattan menus.’
- ‘Some fresh fish is eaten raw with soy sauce as sashimi, or combined raw with rice in sushi.’
- ‘I had several bottles of hot sake and some miso to accompany our dish of sashimi.’
- ‘Its raw belly meat provides the greatest otoro, the fatty tissue that is the most prized for sashimi and sushi.’
- ‘As for sushi and sashimi, they're fresh and expertly, if not artfully, prepared.’
- ‘And just about anytime, hungry Seattleites can be found gobbling noodles, sushi, sashimi, and tempura at restaurants all over the city.’
- ‘We had sashimi and fresh-cooked rice for dinner.’
- ‘After the tuna tartare, I was presented with aji mackerel sashimi tossed in shiso blossoms.’
- ‘On offer is a selection of sushi, sashimi and temaki, fish and vegetable combinations rolled in seaweed-wrapped cones.’
- ‘Rest the sashimi slices against it, alternating slices of sashimi with lemon slices.’
- ‘His period of shyness now over, he wolfs down squid sashimi, mackerel rolls and tuna nigiri while ordering me to keep mixing wasabi and soy.’
- ‘If you know your sushi and sashimi, you can custom order your own, but I opted for the platter which features 10 various pieces and one roll of the chef's choice.’
- ‘I sometimes think I could live on sushi and sashimi.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.