Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A window with one or two sashes which can be slid vertically to make an opening.
- ‘This beautifully proportioned room spans the width of the house and has views over the square through a deep bay window and a shuttered sash window.’
- ‘On the first floor, the second double bedroom overlooks the back garden through a large sash window.’
- ‘The first reception room is a living room to the front of the house with a marble fireplace, high ceiling and sash window.’
- ‘This room is partially tiled in white and there is a large sash window overlooking the back garden.’
- ‘Then I got a man round to give us a quote for installing double-glazed sash windows.’
- ‘A large sash window and a fanlight ensure that plenty of light filters through.’
- ‘Here, the solitary bedroom is a good sized double with a built-in wooden wardrobe and a large sash window which lets in plenty of light.’
- ‘The double bedroom features built-in wardrobes and a sash window, while the bathroom has a bath and shower.’
- ‘There are also polished wooden floors and a sash window with its original shutters.’
- ‘The house has been completely renovated and has a new roof, refitted kitchen, cornice work, pine floors, sliding sash windows and electric security gates.’
- ‘The living room also includes an original marble fireplace with cast iron inset and a full length sash window.’
- ‘Although the building has been modernised throughout it still retains all of its original Georgian features including large reception rooms, cornice work, fireplaces and sliding sash windows.’
- ‘This room is decorated in dusky pink colour with another sash window.’
- ‘The existing shell of the buildings has been retained, and where it was not possible to retain all of the existing windows, new sash windows to match the original specification were fitted.’
- ‘All of the apartments will have en suite shower rooms, custom designed kitchens, fitted wardrobes, large timber sliding sash windows and ten foot high ceilings.’
- ‘On the first floor is an L-shaped drawing room with triple sash windows and double doors to the principal bedroom and an en suite bathroom.’
- ‘The bright drawing room, which overlooks the front garden through an original sash window, has been painted in pale olive tones and has fitted bookshelves on either side of the fireplace.’
- ‘I had already been to bed and found it impossible to sleep, despite having the sash window entirely open.’
- ‘To the right is the sitting room, which overlooks the front garden through a new sash window.’
- ‘The living room's sash windows were replaced with floor-length double windows.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.