One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A weight attached by a cord to each side of the sash of a sash window to balance it at any height.
- ‘Sash cord is the woven cotton rope that was used to hold sash weights in old fashioned windows.’
- ‘What is the best knot to use to fasten a sash weight to the sash cord so it won't fall off?’
- ‘Another interesting mechanism, which can often be used as a useful dating guide, is the sash pulley itself, i.e. the wheel which the cord passes over, and which is attached to the sash weight.’
- ‘The bridge was constructed so that concrete counterweights in each tower raised the span, acting much as sash weights do in an old double-hung window.’
- ‘The weight of the nail is enough to allow the cord to easily get to the bottom of the window so you can attach the sash weight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.