One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lute used in classical North Indian music, with four main strings.
- ‘With special emphasis being laid on giving equal importance to all instruments, the festival will showcase the various forms of classical Indian instruments like flute, sitar, sarod and santoor.’
- ‘He coaxes timbres out of them that sound similar to Indian instruments such as the sitar, sarod, sarangi and veena.’
- ‘Yet he's also studied jazz and Indian music and learnt to play the sarod, so his band achieves a curious rapprochement between world-jazz and heads-down, no-nonsense boogie.’
- ‘If you hear the sarod and sarangi, and you like it, you'll go looking for the original stuff without the beats.’
- ‘Sympathetic strings are a characteristic feature of such instruments as the Hardanger fiddle, srag, sarod, sitar, viola d' amore, and sometimes the trumpet marine.’
Urdu, from Persian surod ‘song, melody’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.