One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the ancient region of Sarmatia or its inhabitants.‘a band of Sarmatian knights’
- ‘The Sarmatian burial rite at Klin Yar is inhumation in underground chambers.’
- ‘The missing piece at the top marks the position of the rich Sarmatian grave’
- ‘He is a Briton, but he commands a Sarmatian cavalry for the occupying country.’
- ‘The museum received a little gold flask with rubies found in Sarmatian archaeological excavations.’
- ‘The exhibition will display works of art found in burial mounds of Sarmatian tribes.’
A native or inhabitant of the ancient region of Sarmatia.‘the Sarmatians fought as a heavy cavalry’
- ‘To the east of the Scythians there lived another horse people, the Sarmatians.’
- ‘The archaeological discoveries they are referring to are connected to the Sarmatians.’
- ‘It is known that over 5,000 Sarmatians from this area came to Britain after the Marcomannic wars in AD 175.’
- ‘He settled many Sarmatians within the empire.’
- ‘The German tribes had already learnt to fight mounted in heavy armour from the Sarmatians.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.