One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organophosphorus nerve gas, developed in Germany during the Second World War.
- ‘Initial tests on the liquid chemicals found in 14 barrels at an agricultural site near Hindiyah, central Iraq, indicated the possible presence of nerve agents sarin and tabun and the blister agent lewisite.’
- ‘They could attack with a dirty bomb, with cyanide, sarin, or VX gas.’
- ‘I'm above a reasonable doubt convinced this is a nerve agent that they developed, either improvised, one, or they may have developed actually sarin in some form to use.’
- ‘A chemical weapon is any weapon that uses a manufactured chemical, such as sarin, mustard gas or hydrogen cyanide, to kill or injure.’
- ‘The concept also lies behind the more chilling development of nerve poison organophosphates such as sarin.’
- ‘He claims none of the volunteers had any idea they were going to have the poisonous nerve gas sarin tested on them.’
- ‘On March 20, 1995, this group of home grown terrorists launched an attack on Tokyo's subway system, the world's busiest, using deadly sarin nerve gas.’
- ‘Many suffer from long-term health effects similar to those passengers gassed by sarin in Tokyo's subways.’
- ‘This target list usually included sarin, soman, mustard, lewisite, cyclosarin, and fats, oils and wax to name a few.’
- ‘Today's report echoes one last week by the US Veterans Department, which said there was ‘a probable link’ between illnesses suffered by American soldiers and exposure to toxins, including nerve gases such as sarin.’
- ‘It turns out that the plane was hauling ten tons of chemicals, including the ingredients used to produce sarin nerve gas, to Israel.’
- ‘Human exposure - mostly via inhalation - to the organophosphorus nerve agent sarin was recently documented in 2 terrorist incidents in Japan.’
- ‘However, it is sensitive to things like mustard gas, tabun and sarin.’
- ‘Presumably, sarin, tabun, phosgene, adamsite, prussic acid and a family of mustard gases, comprising the basis of KPA chemical weapons, are produced here.’
- ‘He suffered repeated collapses of both lungs after sarin and mustard gas were tested on him when he was just 19.’
- ‘We know that the regime has produced thousands of tons of chemical agents, including mustard gas, sarin nerve gas, VX nerve gas.’
- ‘Five soldiers part of a bomb disposal team were sickened suffering nausea and eye irritation when it turned out the artillery shell used in the bomb tested positive for sarin nerve gas.’
- ‘The first report focused on potential health effects from depleted uranium, pyridostigmine bromide, sarin, and vaccines; the second centered on insecticides and solvents.’
- ‘An estimated 5,000 civilians were killed and 10,000 injured when the Iraqi air force bombarded Halabja with mustard and other poison gases, including sarin.’
- ‘While experts think a smallpox or sarin gas attack is less likely than another conventional assault, the anthrax cases in West Palm Beach have made people very nervous.’
From German Sarin, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.