One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment consisting of a length of cotton or silk elaborately draped around the body, traditionally worn by women from South Asia.
- ‘Today we see our womenfolk in sarees and salwar kameez.’
- ‘There were kurtas and saris, dhotis and lungis, trousers, towels and aprons in brilliant hues and varied textures.’
- ‘Apart from silk varieties, cotton sarees and churidhars from places like Paramakudi and Coimbatore are also on sale.’
- ‘Sherwani, silk sarees and ghagra cholis were designed and developed under the category of bridal wear.’
- ‘He imports the cotton and silk sarees from Chennai, Mumbai and Coimbatore.’
- ‘There were three white skinned women who were inexpertly draped in Indian saris with long sleeved jackets.’
- ‘A seasoned chazzer can spot linen lounge pants, a cashmere cardie or a silk sari at 100 paces.’
- ‘Ladies were dressed in saris and shalwar kameez of vibrant shades making the streets of Wootton Bassett awash with colour.’
- ‘I brought in a silk saree (traditional Indian garb for women) that represented the ambivalence I have about certain cultural and gender expectations.’
- ‘Out of the gift box came spanking new saris, shirts, trousers, lungis and nighties and the happiness of the inmates knew no bounds.’
- ‘The elaborate knit work on cotton and silk sarees from Dacca takes at least 12 days to complete.’
- ‘The sight of a fair-skinned woman in a sari or salwar kameez invites stares.’
- ‘Among saris, there are the traditional cotton prints and also the Chanderi cotton and silk saris which are priced reasonably.’
- ‘From cotton to chiffon sarees and from crepe to crush silk sarees the varieties are too many.’
- ‘There was a lot of music and dancing and many people wore traditional Indian clothing, including women's lenghas and sarees and Kurta pyjamas for the men.’
- ‘The handlooms include the usual dress material of Oriya cottons, some light, airy Maheswari cottons, skirts and sarees.’
- ‘Pochampalli sarees in mercerised cotton, silk sarees in semi katan, pure katan and in warf and weft creations look elegant.’
- ‘The Bengal cotton sarees and other dress materials have been brought out in colourful hues, to match the changing trends in the fashion world.’
- ‘Pochampally silk and cotton sarees boldly announce their strength and durability.’
- ‘From gorgeous silk saris to plain dhotis, there is a discount on every item at the Hantex showroom.’
Late 18th century: from Hindi sāṛī.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.