One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The cytoplasm of striated muscle cells.
- ‘In certain skeletal muscle fibers, namely the red or slow contracting muscle fibers, the nuclei may be found scattered throughout the sarcoplasm.’
- ‘The changes consisted of disrupted myofibrils, increased numbers of lipid vacuoles in the sarcoplasm, and abnormally small mitochondria containing focal membrane disruptions.’
- ‘Electron microscopy, however, is essential for diagnosis, demonstrating the rods as electron-dense structures in the sarcoplasm.’
- ‘Measurements of the rotational diffusion coefficient of proteins within muscle cells were also employed to obtain information about the physical properties of sarcoplasm.’
- ‘Within the sarcolemma is the sarcoplasm, containing all the usual subcellular elements plus long prominent myofibrils.’
Late 19th century: from Greek sarx, sark- ‘flesh’ + plasma.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.