One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The soft outer layers of recently formed wood between the heartwood and the bark, containing the functioning vascular tissue.
- ‘The square-edge diagonal board sheathing that seems so fabulous in memory is now grown so fast and harvested so young it is sapwood all the way through.’
- ‘The lighter colored sapwood will deteriorate just as quickly as pine or spruce.’
- ‘The relative amounts of heartwood and sapwood in a flooring batch may affect the way it accepts stain and finish and, therefore, the finished appearance of the floor.’
- ‘Those results suggested that sapwood respiration was not limited by sapwood quantity alone, but by other factors, such as frequency, vitality, and content of the sapwood parenchyma.’
- ‘His saplings were all sapwood, which bends much differently from the heartwood that makes up the majority of the old bows.’
- ‘This freestanding bench uses Construction Common or Deck Common redwood grades that have a pleasing mix of heartwood and sapwood.’
- ‘The beetles lay their eggs in trees and the resulting larvae bore into the wood, feeding on the tree's cambium, sapwood, and heartwood and impeding the movement of water and nutrients through the tree.’
- ‘The sapwood, frequently 3 to 4 inches thick, is white with a reddish tinge.’
- ‘The fluted trunk is sprouting tufts of grass and although still covered in bark, the sapwood underneath is mush.’
- ‘Old wood cut open reveals dead sapwood extending from an old pruning wound, the point of entry of the fungus.’
- ‘They're a nice, knot-free heartwood, meaning that there's no outer layer of sapwood on it.’
- ‘Choose Construction Common or Deck Common redwood, grades with pleasing blends of heartwood and sapwood, for a long-lasting and economical deck.’
- ‘In hardwoods especially, the heartwood coloration is preferred and the sometimes lighter sapwood may be considered a defect and discarded.’
- ‘The sapwood is light brown and the heartwood is dark brown.’
- ‘Construction Common, Deck Common, Merchantable Heart and Merchantable are knotty garden grades of redwood and offer a colorful mix of sapwood and heartwood.’
- ‘Redwood beauty is typified by rich cinnamon-colored heartwood, cream-colored sapwood, distinctive grain and performance that keeps projects looking good for years.’
- ‘A further measure to avoid violent movement in the final carved sculpture is to remove the heartwood from the log, since it shrinks at a different rate from the outer sapwood.’
- ‘A construction common, which contains some sapwood, is ideal for the deck boards.’
- ‘The first synthetic vanillin was produced by German chemists in 1874 from coniferin, the glucoside found in the sapwood of certain conifers.’
- ‘Throughout the growing season, hollow vessels in a tree's sapwood, or xylem, conduct water and nutrients up from the roots to the leaves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.