Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A pantheistic Afro-Cuban religious cult developed from the beliefs and customs of the Yoruba people and incorporating some elements of the Catholic religion.
- ‘I've tried to find answers in many fields, i.e. Buddhism, santeria, Christianity, but these avenues were not providing the answers that I needed but rather worsening my severe confusion.’
- ‘Bored by the slogans and hard labor, she eventually is drawn to the African-Cuban religion santeria, giving her some spiritual peace before her death.’
- ‘She also taught him about santeria, Cuba's African-derived religion that has outlasted any political regime.’
- ‘And speaking of voodoo and santeria, it'll be a good idea to also cover the drumming used.’
- ‘What's the difference between voodoo, hoodoo, santeria, and candomble?’
- ‘If its guarding your aura, my first impression is something of the voodoo / santeria nature, as one on these paths has a spirit that ‘owns’ one's head, and can be known to be quite protective of it.’
- ‘Pure West African rhythms can still be heard in the drum-driven ceremonies of voodoo and santeria throughout the Caribbean and South America.’
- ‘Many of those who call themselves Catholics are also adherents of an Afro-Cuban religious tradition known as santeria.’
- ‘She also took Spanish lessons so she could talk to people and have a greater understanding of santeria and the African origins of Cuban culture.’
- ‘A dabbler in santeria and a believer in omens (aguero means portent or augury), Constancia's favorite radio show is La Hora de los Milagros, ‘The Hour of Miracles.’’
Spanish, literally holiness.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.