One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the largest single indigenous group in India, spread over its eastern part and numbering about 5 million.
- ‘To Hunter the Santals and the hillmen of the western frontier of Bengal were a ‘manly race’.’
- ‘The indigenous community of Shantiniketan, mostly the Santals, displayed their handmade products at the fair.’
- ‘Throughout central and southern India there are tribal populations such as Mundas, Oraons and Santals, there are Dravidian groups in southern India such as Tamils and the Malayalam-speaking peoples in Kerala.’
Relating to the Santals.
- ‘He was one of the best-known Anglo-Indians, who had helped put down the Santal tribe rebellion in Bengal and became the premier of Tasmania from 1894 to 1899.’
- ‘The reports to government on which this book is based, had to describe Santal customs in so far as they were tied up with legal principles.’
- ‘Chapters III and IV of the Annals are entirely devoted to the study of the Santal society and this study will remain a classic.’
Bengali sā̃̄otāl, from Saont, a place in NE India.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.