One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Hinduism and Sikhism) a saint.
- ‘Thus, it honors the great rishis, gurus, sants and mahatmas as the greatest heroes of all.’
- ‘He said to me very candidly, I'm trying to translate that as close as I can, that before 1984 I thought he was a scoundrel, but after what happened in Blue Star I think now he's a sant.’
- ‘As assorted sadhus and sants hogged the front pages of newspapers and prime time television, our elected Members of Parliament could not do any of their routine work.’
- ‘Wherever we have this problem, we should improve it, through sant, satsang and shastra saints, religious gathering and scripture.’
- ‘They pointed out that the sants and mahants had attended the dharam sammelan organised on the occasion of the yagna.’
From Hindi santaḥ ‘venerable men’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.