One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A training course with alternate periods of formal instruction and practical experience.
- ‘We would be denying universities the freedom to incentivise industrial, vocational, scientific, technical, engineering and sandwich courses, or foundation degrees, which are vital for the economic future of this country.’
- ‘My university degree was a sandwich course - meaning that the third year out of the four year course is spent on an industrial placement.’
- ‘Back in the early 90s when I was a student in Liverpool, it was required that I do an industrial placement during the third year of my sandwich course.’
- ‘Some universities offer a four-year sandwich course where the third year is spent gaining a teaching qualification.’
- ‘As the FCO website illustrates, candidates of all racial backgrounds can apply for a one year economic placement, on the condition that they follow a sandwich course.’
- ‘You'll likely do either a three-year degree leading to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science or a four-year sandwich course which includes a year in industry or a year abroad.’
- ‘Hence, we should develop sandwich courses: studies in regular schools alternating (say, weekly) with apprenticeships in the workplace.’
- ‘The four-year sandwich course has been developed with specialised police forces in the area.’
- ‘Fareham-born Mr Ekins joined Hampshire County Council as a civil engineering trainee in 1962 and did a sandwich course.’
- ‘Another route would be to go for a sandwich course when choosing your degree.’
- ‘He began his career in cancer research when he spent 12 months on a sandwich course at the Institute of Cancer Research in London.’
- ‘Many schools in India have tried approaches, including sandwich courses, and a one-year full time model.’
- ‘Similarly they will be able to take up work placements which are part of a sandwich course or to undertake internship placements without the need to obtain permission from Work Permits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.