One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A training course with alternate periods of formal instruction and practical experience.
- ‘He began his career in cancer research when he spent 12 months on a sandwich course at the Institute of Cancer Research in London.’
- ‘Similarly they will be able to take up work placements which are part of a sandwich course or to undertake internship placements without the need to obtain permission from Work Permits.’
- ‘We would be denying universities the freedom to incentivise industrial, vocational, scientific, technical, engineering and sandwich courses, or foundation degrees, which are vital for the economic future of this country.’
- ‘Back in the early 90s when I was a student in Liverpool, it was required that I do an industrial placement during the third year of my sandwich course.’
- ‘Many schools in India have tried approaches, including sandwich courses, and a one-year full time model.’
- ‘Some universities offer a four-year sandwich course where the third year is spent gaining a teaching qualification.’
- ‘Another route would be to go for a sandwich course when choosing your degree.’
- ‘Hence, we should develop sandwich courses: studies in regular schools alternating (say, weekly) with apprenticeships in the workplace.’
- ‘My university degree was a sandwich course - meaning that the third year out of the four year course is spent on an industrial placement.’
- ‘As the FCO website illustrates, candidates of all racial backgrounds can apply for a one year economic placement, on the condition that they follow a sandwich course.’
- ‘Fareham-born Mr Ekins joined Hampshire County Council as a civil engineering trainee in 1962 and did a sandwich course.’
- ‘You'll likely do either a three-year degree leading to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science or a four-year sandwich course which includes a year in industry or a year abroad.’
- ‘The four-year sandwich course has been developed with specialised police forces in the area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.