One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sedimentary rock consisting of sand or quartz grains cemented together, typically red, yellow, or brown in colour.
- ‘The outer walls are striking with their elegant green and red and yellow sandstone, and the whole is as Italian and un-Gothic as any building in Italy.’
- ‘Geologically, this ecozone is primarily horizontally layered sedimentary rock; limestone, shale, and sandstone.’
- ‘Higher, steeper slopes of the Vosges have thin topsoil, with subsoils of weathered gneiss, granite, sandstone, schist, and volcanic sediments.’
- ‘These are relatively soft rocks with a distinctive brick red colour and are composed mainly of sandstone and mudstone.’
- ‘Riders maneuver through a wilderness of rough terrain, brilliant sandstone formations, sand dunes, and wildlife.’
- ‘‘Nothing looks worse than the wrong material in the wrong place, say a yellow sandstone wall in a limestone area,’ he says.’
- ‘Hydrogen sulfide often is present in wells drilled in shale or sandstone, or near coal or peat deposits or oil fields.’
- ‘On his forearm was a black coloured sandstone wrist-guard, or bracer.’
- ‘Different stones require different approaches: thus limestone and sandstone are relatively soft stones which can be easily carved and have softer contours.’
- ‘The lithology of the bedrock can vary from basalt to sandstone and various carbonate rocks, but most caves form through the dissolution of limestone.’
- ‘I have used granite, sandstone and quartz type rocks and am continually placing rocks in various parts of the gardens to harness energies.’
- ‘The coastline to their right was an endless sea of sand and tan-coloured sandstone.’
- ‘Made of sand-like quartz, sandstone comes in a variety of colors.’
- ‘The desertscape, with its gateway at Jodhpur, is a blend of browns, creams and reds; sand and sandstone.’
- ‘Majestic figures appear as if by magic from blocks of apple wood, hawthorn, sandstone, limestone, bronze and marble.’
- ‘The miles of sand, and yellowed sandstone passed by him like a sea of golden-yellow waves.’
- ‘There are two rock gardens, limestone and sandstone, a scented garden, a stream garden, a woodland garden, a bog garden and a dry garden.’
- ‘Just ahead, he must pass between a yellow peak of sandstone, and a reddish one, perhaps containing iron ore like the stones used in the Krelling forge.’
- ‘The plaque is made from fine grained sandstone, probably derived from a skerry bed in local Mercia mudstone deposits.’
- ‘Today he was sporting a relaxed suit of sandstone brown, with blinding white shirt underneath his jacket.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.