One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounNZ, Scottish, Australian
- another term for plimsoll
- ‘On the beach, all Australians hide their keys and wallets by placing them inside their sandshoes.’
- ‘Until recent years, Osborne players wore sandshoes until the rains came in May or June.’
- ‘You're not going out in sandshoes on a night like this.’
- ‘When you stare at these sandshoes, remember that while they go on your feet, you are really wearing them upside your head.’
- ‘That's a lot of sewing machines turning out lots of t-shirts and sandshoes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.