One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wading bird with a long bill and typically long legs, nesting on the ground by water and frequenting coastal areas on migration.
- ‘You can see red knots, dunlins, and sandpipers as they rest and forage for food on the beaches, using the untouched island habitat as a safe haven during their journey south.’
- ‘Herons, Egyptian geese, stilts and sandpipers are already frequent visitors to the site.’
- ‘Currently there are 23 ongoing ACF projects involving experimentation with mice, rats, hamsters, rabbits, ducks, sandpipers, and zebra finches.’
- ‘These include the spoon-billed sandpiper which breeds in northeast Russia.’
- ‘Traditionally, the five species of peeps in North America are the Baird's, Least, Semipalmated, Western, and White-rumped sandpipers.’
- ‘Here breeding grounds are shared with broad-billed sandpipers and sometimes red-necked phalaropes.’
- ‘This can be difficult to see and is not diagnostic, as other sandpipers also have these webbed feet.’
- ‘Spotted redshank share their forest-marsh nesting grounds with wood sandpipers, greenshank, whimbrel, jack snipe and broad-billed sandpipers.’
- ‘When we arrived, it was past the peak of the fall shorebird migration, but there were still hundreds of sandpipers and plovers resting and feeding on Monomoy.’
- ‘More than half a dozen species of birds have come to roost, which include black-winged stilts, cattle and little egrets, little stints, common sandpipers, pond herons and little winged plovers.’
- ‘The sky is busy with gulls and the exposed sands and stones are playgrounds to coastal waders, including oyster catchers, cormorants and sandpipers.’
- ‘This stretch of the river is usually good for sandpipers and orioles, yet all we could come up with was a lone Least Sandpiper.’
- ‘The group has also managed the wet farmland so winter visitors include snipe, redshank, water rail and common sandpiper.’
- ‘A brief summary of the meeting's minutes are as follows: we're fairly confident that we've seen willets in the past and there's no way Sara is going to drive out to Jamaica Bay just to solidify a sandpiper sighting.’
- ‘On a hot May morning, I plodded along the forest track, waving at mosquitoes and hoping that the neurotic wood sandpipers would calm down.’
- ‘Under the shade of a banyan, we train our binoculars on the far side of the lake and Little grebes, Grey herons, godwits, coots and sandpipers resolve themselves into view.’
- ‘A cormorant flew low over the water, long neck held in a serpentine curve; sandpipers and turnstones tottered among the rocks.’
- ‘There are birds in the garden that are rarely seen in London, such as the common sandpiper, sedge warbler and lesser whitethroat, with smew and goosander on the lake in winter.’
- ‘This was also true with the common snipe, lesser yellowlegs, willet, and western sandpiper.’
- ‘It has a round head with large, black eyes, and a relatively short bill for a sandpiper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.