Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small marine fish with fringed lips, which burrows in the sand, in particular.
- ‘The Australian government is trying to seed juveniles of sandfish, Holothuroidea scabra which were reduced by overfishing.’
- ‘Pacific Sandfish live in the Northern Pacific from California to Russia.’
- ‘The sandfish spends most of its time underground living in soft sand.’
2A small sea bass which lives only in shallow inshore waters around Florida.
- ‘The state's biggest belted sandfish weighed .05 pounds.’
- ‘Fish counters saw many big belted sandfish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.