One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small marine fish with fringed lips, which burrows in the sand.
a North Pacific fish (Trichodon trichodon, family Trichodontidae).
an elongated Australian fish (Crapatulus arenarius, family Leptoscopidae).
- ‘The sandfish spends most of its time underground living in soft sand.’
- ‘Pacific Sandfish live in the Northern Pacific from California to Russia.’
- ‘The Australian government is trying to seed juveniles of sandfish, Holothuroidea scabra which were reduced by overfishing.’
2A small sea bass which lives only in shallow inshore waters around Florida.
Serranus subligarius, family Serranidae
- ‘The state's biggest belted sandfish weighed .05 pounds.’
- ‘Fish counters saw many big belted sandfish.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.